Technical Assistance Series: Foundations for Business Success
Legal Toolkit for Small Business: Understanding Employment and Tax Law
Maui Economic Development Board will offer a free workshop on the island of Molokai, “Legal Toolkit for Small Business: Understanding Employment and Tax Law.” The session is part of MEDB’s Technical Assistance Series which was created to help small businesses establish strong systems, processes, tools, and best practices to build a solid foundation for success.
DATE: Tuesday, September 1st
AGENDA/LOCATION: The workshop will be held from 8:30 am -1:00 pm at the Molokai MEO Business Development Center located at 380 Kolapa Street in Kaunakakai.
- Registration: 8:30 am – 9:00 am
- Seminar: 9:00 am – 11:00 am
- Break out sessions: 11:00 am-12:00 pm
- Closing and Surveys: 12:00 pm – 12:15 pm
- Lunch and Talk Story: 12:15 pm – 1:00 pm
The workshop offers an ideal opportunity for business owners to receive helpful advice from prominent Hawaii attorneys and an accountant, specializing in legal and financial issues facing small business owners. Topics will include:
- Employment law issues common to small business owners.
- How small business owners can prevent employment law problems?
- How small business owners can protect their intellectual property, including trade names, trademarks, copyrights and patents?
- Common legal pitfalls for small business owners
- The type of legal entity that best suits a small business.
- How to address possible deadlocks and disagreements within my S corporation or LLC?
- Common tax issues facing small business owners.
Following the seminar, one-hour breakout sessions will be offered on:
- Employment law issues
- Governing and maintaining your legal status to avoid liability
- Getting the capital you need: crowdfunding, angel investment and other tools
- Tax considerations for small business: keeping more of your money
“We’re excited to be offering this workshop featuring many of Hawaii’s prominent attorneys and an experienced accountant. I encourage people to take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about how they can protect their business by avoiding legal and financial pitfalls,” said Frank De Rego Jr., Director of Business Development Projects at MEDB.
Gregory Kim – Partner at Convergent Law Group LLP
A Silicon Valley based firm focusing on technology companies. Greg concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate and securities law; and specializes in mergers and acquisitions, startups, venture capital, technology and licensing agreements. Greg is the Co-Founder and President of the Business Law Corps.
Chris Mashiba – Partner in the tax department of Cades Schutte
A Honolulu based law firm. Chris’ practice is concentrated in the areas of federal and state tax planning for businesses and individuals and resolving federal and state tax audits.
She has lived and practiced law in Hawaii and on Molokai since 2004. Her law practice includes small business work, landlord tenant, estate planning and family law issues. She has been an instructor for University of Hawaii-Molokai Campus in Business Law.
IRS Enrolled Agent and CEO/Founder of Personal Accountant Inc. Lisa concentrates her practice in areas of business review, tax planning, and organization. She is also a ProAdvisor for Intuit Quickbooks software and online accounting.
Practices and advises in all aspects of labor and employment law. He has taught at Hawaii Pacific University and the University of Hawaii William S. Richardson School of Law. Christopher has also been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, the Chambers USA directory America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, and Super Lawyers.
Workshop admission is free and space is limited. To register for MEDB’s Legal Toolkit for Small Businesses, contact Jennifer Hawkins at the Kuhao Business Center on Molokai, call (808) 553-8100.
For more information about the workshop, contact: Frank De Rego Jr. at MEDB: email email@example.com or call (808) 270-6807.