SAVE THE DATES: May 7th, 8th, and 9th 2020
Over the past few weeks, as we battle to keep COVID-19 from spreading in our communities, we have all experienced our daily lives change in radical ways. We here at STEMworks™ recognize the importance of staying connected with each other as we get through this unprecedented time together. That is why we are so excited to announce we are bringing highlights of our 2020 Hawaii STEM Conference to you VIRTUALLY!
On May 7th, we will be bringing you:
- Keynote Talk from Microsoft
- Training Sessions on Artificial Intelligence (AI), Geospatial Information Systems (GIS), and more
- An Industry Playground Video Library
- ZOOM LIVE STEMMY AWARDS!!! Winners of the pre-site competitions will be announced and celebrated!
On May 8th and 9th, we are kicking off our first ever VIRTUAL HACKATHON CHALLENGE hosted in partnership with BizzyB. Teams will be competing to research, design, and pitch a product that addresses a real-world challenge presented by Malama Maunalua.
- Oyster Cage Design Challenge – In this fast-paced challenge, students will learn about Malama Maunalua’s mission to help improve water quality in their ahupuaa by growing oysters, and their need for oyster cages. Teams of 3-5 students will meet in virtual breakout rooms under the guidance of mentors to research and discuss their oyster cage design. They will use the BizzyB platform to take their product from idea to market to pitch. At the end of this two-day challenge, students will pitch their product in a virtual showcase event hosted on Zoom to a team of judges. The winning team will have the opportunity to prototype and test their design in real life, as well as take home one of the following prizes:
1st Place – Microsoft Xbox Console
2nd Place – Ryze Tello Edu Drone
3rd Place – DIY Computer Speaker from KiwiCo
All Participants: will receive Microsoft gifts and swag for joining in on the fun!
*ZOOM meeting room links and passwords will be provided to registered participants closer to the date of the event.