The Basics of Sound Human Resources Management
You are invited to attend a seminar that will look at the basics of human resource management for business startups. All new entrepreneurs must navigate an often bewildering maze of tasks, rules, and regulations to get going. The goal of this interactive workshop is to set you on a path to success as you bring on and nurture one of your most vital strengths – employees.
Wednesday, March 2, 2016 • 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
MEDB’s Malcolm Center, 1305 N. Holopono Street, Suite 5, Kihei
What you will learn:
- Payroll Basics: Must-follow regulations; tax liabilities; withholdings; and an explanation of FICA-FUTA-SUTA.
- Health Care Basics: The Affordable Care Act; explanation of group versus health care plans; and the ins and outs of Prepaid Health options.
- Human Resource Basics: Recruiting, hiring, and terminating an employee; the effect of TDI and Workers Compensation.
- Labor Law Basics: Best practices to avoid lawsuits; dealing with wage and hour issues such as minimum wage and overtime; insurance requirements; and how new labor law legislation will impact your business.
Small Group Breakout Sessions:
- Starting Up Your Payroll: Understanding regulations, tax liabilities, and withholding requirements
- Health Care and Your New Business: The Affordable Care Act, exploring health care plans and options
- Building Your Employment Culture: Employee recruitment to retirement and everything in between
- Following the Law: Best practices in implementing labor law requirements
WEDNESDAY MARCH 2nd, 2016
|Registration||8:30am – 9:00am|
|Seminar||9:00am – 11:15am|
|Lunch & Networking||11:15am – 12:00pm|
|Breakout Sessions||12:00pm – 1:30pm|
|GREGORY SATO is a partner in the Kobayashi Sugita & Goda law firm and he specializes in representing employers.|
|LAURAINE BIFULCO is CEO and President of VantaggioHR, a human resource consulting company that provides solutions to businesses of all sizes, across all industries. Lauraine is a veteran HR executive and entrepreneur with 25 years of international, corporate, and consulting experience.|
|DAVID YARBROUGH is the Senior Business Development Manager at ProService Hawaii. ProService specializes in helping small businesses increase their profitability and decrease their liability in the workplace.|
|DONNA JONES is the Director of External HR for ProService Hawaii. Donna is an active member of Society of Human Resource Managers, and holds a Senior Professional in Human Resources Certification.|
|PEGGY MAXWELL-LUKE is the Business Relationship Manager for Ceridian HCM, Hawaii’s leading payroll provider. She has over 24 years of payroll, tax filing and HRIS experience.|
LOCATION: MEDB’s Malcolm Center – 1305 N. Holopono Street, Suite 5 in Kihei
- Admission is $25 (non-refundable)
- Lunch will be provided
- Reservation required
- Space is limited
REGISTER ONLINE: https://www.hightechmaui.com/reg2016/form-startup0302.cfm
Frank De Rego Jr.
Director of Business Development Projects