Today some of the best-known companies and organizations are active players in Maui’s economy, such as The Boeing Company, Sempra Renewables, Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), Monsanto, Kaiser Permanente, University of Hawaii’s Institute for Astronomy, as well as award-winning local businesses and innovative start-ups gaining national recognition.
Businesses are attracted by Maui County’s unique advantages including:
- A mid-Pacific location that offers overlapping business hours and easy access to markets in Asia and the Pacific Rim nations as well as the continental U.S.
- Foreign trade zone facilities at the 400-acre Maui Research and Technology Park
- Port facilities that offer easy access to global markets
- Enterprise Zone partnerships that assist certain types of businesses to create jobs where they are most needed or appropriate.
The county’s leading sectors include:
- Astronomy / Optics / Space Technology
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- Energy Technology
- Information Technology